11 Ways To Bring Mindfulness Into Your Day
- In the shower, spend an extra minute noticing how the water feels sliding down your skin.
- While brushing your teeth, concentrate on the process, from the way the bristles feel against your teeth to the foam expanding and mint tingling in your mouth.
- Exercising, try focusing on your breathing or on a neutral part of your body.
- As you check your phone or Facebook, do a quick check in with your body. Notice any sensations, emotional or physical, related to the activity.
- Standing on line or waiting in an office, let your attention move around the room. spend a few moments giving your attention to each object you see. Treat it as if you’ve never seen it before.
- When someone smiles at you, even out of politeness, do your best to receive the smile, fully. When you smile, notice how and where it spreads through the body.
- When you’re walking, concentrate on your shoes touching the ground.
- If you’re doing a mundane activity, concentrate on each phase of the activity. For example, dish washing: Turning the water on, touching it to check the temperature, putting soap on the sponge, scrubbing the pot, rinsing the pot, placing it in the drying rack.
- Set an alert on your phone and when it goes off, take one minute to repeat a positive phrase or mantra to yourself. Letting go of results, just listen to the mantra in your mind.
- At any meal, eat one mindful bite or take one mindful sip. Choose to focus completely on the process of bringing the food or drink to your mouth, the taste of it, the way it feels in your mouth, the swallowing. Notice any reactions you may have to what you’re eating.
- Get creative! Find a way unique to your environment. Maybe petting your dog or listening to your favorite song.